The Firehall Arts Centre is looking for four individuals to join us for a five month internship learning the ins-and-outs of working in a theatre.
Individuals will receive the unique opportunity to work and experience the different jobs that are integral to getting a show up and running. Outside of the performers on the stage, it takes marketers, lighting and set designers, customer service staff, administration support, and much more to make sure that performance is just right. Those participating in the internship will gain the opportunity to see the inner workings of the live performing arts and get firsthand experience working in the Arts & Culture Industry.
The Firehall Arts Centre, now in its 30th season, produces and presents contemporary dance and theatre that is committed to representing the cultural pluralism of Canada. Located in the heart of the Downtown Eastside, the Firehall is a thriving community member and an active facility that runs its own theatre, gallery space, bar, studio facility, and much more. It produces and presents eight productions per season, is home to the BC Buds Spring Art Fair and the main venue for the Dancing on the Edge Festival of Contemporary Dance.
|Learn the skills to work as:||Front of House/Bartending|
|Audience Outreach Assistant|
During the internship, you will gain new employable skills and certificates, including:
- Occupational Health & Safety First Aid Level One
- Serving It Right Certification
- FoodSafe Certification
- Introductions to production, theatre administration, customer services, publicity and marketing and day-to-day arts management
- Customer Service Skills
- Experience handling cash and working with cash registers
- Experience working in a professional environment
- Job experience working with artists, technicians, administrators, and the community
Applicants must have the following requirements to be eligible for the training program:
- Between 19 – 30 years of age
- Currently unemployed or underemployed
- Not attending post secondary school and do not have a degree from a post secondary school
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant
- A desire to increase your employment skills and gain great experience
- Willing to explore your potential and learn new things
- ENTHUSIASM and a desire to learn more about the Arts & Culture Industry
The Training Program prioritizes applicants facing barriers to employment including: homelessness/shelter, substance abuse, emotional and/or physical health, single parents, literacy/numeracy issues, and those with a criminal record. The internship will run over a period of approximately 20 weeks and provide training and pay for four (4) participants to obtain and increase their employment skills for entry-level positions in and around the arts. The training program will focus on key areas as front-line customer service, administration and production of a thriving theatre organization. Participants will be selected to train in the following departments: Box Office/Database Management, Customer Service Management including Front of House and Bar, Technical Production, and Marketing/Outreach.
Those interested should submit an application form (and resume, if possible) to:
Firehall Arts Centre
Attn: Caitlin McKee
280 East Cordova Street
Vancouver, BC V6A 1L3
Fax: 604-684-5841 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Phone: 604-689-0691
Please submit applications by Tuesday February 19, 2013 by 5pm
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of ACCESS and British Columbia through the Ministry of Advanced Education and labour market Development as provided by the Canada-B.C. Labour Market Agreement.