The Firehall Theatre Society’s mandate is to animate and maintain the heritage firehall building as an arts centre through its productions, presentations and hosting of performing arts organizations and visual arts exhibitions. The Society states its mission as being one of opening doors to the arts through its programming and it strives to produce and present theatre, dance, inter-disciplinary works and the visual arts that stimulate the mind, entertain the spirit and reflect the cultural pluralism of Canada.
The Society’s core values are:
- Artistic Merit and Integrity: to foster the development, production and presentation of artistic works which exhibit artistic merit, integrity and quality and to provide creative and employment opportunities for diverse British Columbian professional artists through the sharing of stories reflective of the Canadian experience.
- Inclusion and Access: to create opportunities for First Nations, culturally diverse and gender diverse artists to participate in professional performing and visual arts and to ensure audiences from a broad cultural, economic and educational demographic feel welcome to attend and enjoy our productions, presentations and exhibitions.
- Ethical Action: to conduct the Society’s business in an ethical and transparent manner ensuring a safe and healthy workplace for staff, contract employees and artists and an open relationship with audiences, donors/supporters and the community at large.
- Community Benefits: to provide benefits to the B.C. artistic community through employment and support and to work towards creating a healthy community through the arts.
- Education: to provide opportunities for artists, staff and audiences to experience and gain an increased knowledge of artistic disciplines, theatre and contemporary dance practice and the subject matter of the artistic works in which they are involved as artists and as audiences.